Saturday, July 24, 2010

rscon10 - pre search


This is my draft for what I plan to share on aug 1 at the reform symposium - as an intro to this.
We would absolutely love feedback, if you are so inclined.





Like in the (blended) classroom we feel you should get a pre-search

I just attended an elluminate session where Jo Hart was so gracefully discussing the value of face to face conferences.

We can learn a lot if we see them as a certain size copy of the fractal of learning how to learn.
The need for personalization of learning shows up most during a lecture type time. It's unlikely we all can remain engaged on one topic in a given time period (meaning all of us in ed or at a conference.) Not so unlikely for a specified community or tribe though, that has authentic connections.

In blended classes you get these opportunities:
  • a pre-search of the topic- 
  • a face to face meeting - one in which you are already entrenched in the topic and/or the people attending
  • a re-search of the notes after (discussion/activity) 
  • a re-play  ability to rehash any of the above, by hitting replay, by ongoing tweet/blog/junto conversations, etc
We hope during the time together, a most important time - you aren't left with a de-search.
 These other elements are so vital to upping the value of the times we spend together.
We hope you aren't left with only the 2 feet rule or the back channel escape.

One beauty of fractal-thinking is seeing ourselves in what we wish for our students.

Many want the two feet rule.. ok - do we allow that for our students? Is there a better way... what if we got better at pre-search going? What if we only met together face to face if there was a reason - for each of us... not just the presenter at a conference or the teacher in a room....What if the main value of being together in a room was the people...that we chose to be with...
ie:
  1. I read 5 of your books, I know I’ll be on the edge of my seat.
  2. I read your pre-search notes and can’t wait for you to untangle some of them.
  3. I read your pre-search notes and other's comments on them - I can’t wait to get together in a room with all of you and hash that out.
  4. I read your pre-search notes - and I won’t need the 2 feet rule - and I won't use the backchannel as a bash tool -  because I’m picking this learning space, I’m prepped for that time together. 
And if for some reason - it’s not what I expected, because that could still happen, it’s fine. No worries, I know of Carol Dweck’s growth Mindset and I also can’t wait to dig gems out of what I initially may view as disconnect.

We should model that - we should look more like pieces of the fractal.



The Coop is planning  a meet up - after just one Junto session. We’re craving time together. We have so many connections already. That's how time together should be. 
Are we’re facilitating those times for our students to connect? Are we focusing on community - or are we assigning work that seems meaningful to us, and then expecting them to jump hoops to be dying to come into our classroom? Are we nudging, urging, providing for connections in the ubiquity of life that makes them crave our times together?



This is ridiculous, and impossible. 
Well it was. 
That’s the new. 
The web is allowing us to getpivot wisdom out of the connected fractals of life  - helping us to see value in all that we do.. and spend our time on things that matter. 
We’re headed for an authentic nclb.




___________________________________________