Thursday, July 19, 2012

ryan holiday

how-dropping-out-can-change-your-life/

makes me think of seth godin's - the dip


I, and the many people who email me, seem to have a funny habit: We repeatedly leave and give up the things that most people work so hard to achieve.  Good schools. Scholarships. Traditional jobs. Money. We don’t believe in sunk costs. If that sounds like you, then you’re probably a perpetual drop out too. Embrace it. I have.
I know that I will do it again and again in my life. Why? Because every time I do, things get better. The trial by fire works. It’s the future. The institutions we have built to prop us up seem mostly to hold creative and forward thinking people back. College is great, but it is slow and routine. Corporations can do great things, but fulfilling individuals is not one of them. Money is important but it can also be an addiction. Accomplishments like a degree or a job are not an end, they are means to an end. I’m so glad I learned that.
Space is recoverable. The status of a college degree, the income from a job—recoverable. Time is not. This time you have now is it. You will not get it back. 
It’s about not needing a piece of paper or other people’s validation to know you have what it takes and are worth betting on. This is your life, I hope you take control and get everything you can out of it.