Sunday, July 22, 2012

amy lewark

from her postings on fb


Whoa... taking a very deep breath... this was all so much closer than I ever could have imagined. The shooter graduated from the same graduate university program (UC Riverside Neuroscience) to which I had gained entrance to finish my PhD. I don't think I could ever truly understand what would motivate someone to do something like that, but I have to wonder if disappointment over the job opportunities in the industry played a role at all. Twelve years later, I'm still trying to figure out my place in this world, and I'm grateful for all the friends I've made along the way.


Amy Lewark In a strange twist, I've read that this is the worst shooting since the one at VA Tech, and this morning, Monika Hardy let me know that Jeff Brazil, who has interviewed my kids, and who won the Pulitzer Price for his coverage of that shooting, published her writing on MIT's DMLCentral, which includes a lengthy quote from some writing I did for the TSD Innovation Lab. I'm feeling a bit weirded out by everything. My life is full of strange coincidences. Including that I finally watched the Netflix movie last night that literally has been sitting next to my TV for months... the Tarantino film "Inglorious Basterds" which ends with a theater going up in flames, and snipers taking out the Nazi audience. So, I literally went to bed with that imagery in my head, and then when I woke up, the first thing Erick said to me is that this shooting had happened. I think I am going to need some of that 'nerve tonic' that Dennis the Menace's neighbor always needed.

http://dmlcentral.net/blog/monika-hardy/declaration-interdependence

But perhaps, really, this is a call to action... That the things Monika says in this article are so very important. There were so many other things I did before I became a "scientist" and I looked at the world differently. I'm trying to get that back, get in touch with unconditional love, and art, and release the ideas of perfection that were installed by the school system. I am thankful to my children for helping me see the world as I once did.


dmlcentral.net
We have massive research and many evidences available...[ie: Diane Ravitch is declaring a bunch of them here, we’ve gathered particular ones here]…that what we’re doing in the name of public education is not serving us well. Perhaps we declare some new laws in regard to public education, in regard t...