Tuesday, September 3, 2013

tweets

JackieGerstein Ed.D. (@jackiegerstein)
9/2/13 7:29 AM
I Forgot My Phone: more connected, but more alone smh.com.au/digital-life/m… via @smh

makes me sad that there are moments in our lives where we're not present because we're looking at a phone," said deGuzman, who also wrote the piece, which was directed by Miles Crawford.

watch/verb more

"It wasn't until this year that I've had these revelations about living in the moment without my phone," deGuzman said. "I still have my phone with me, but I try to leave it in my purse. Now I find myself just taking in a moment, and I don't have to post a picture about it."

Bonnie Stewart (@bonstewart)
9/3/13 6:26 AM
the piece my diss proposal was missing. RT @paulg Why I Won’t Try to Publish as I Move Towards Tenure bit.ly/132az8e thx @JessieNYC

reason: the academic publishing system is built around a 1-2 year publishing process that requires the best and brightest minds to turn over all of their intellectual property without any compensation for that work.

dang if this is the only (and even the top) reason

loved each of those jobs, but I would never have worked for any of those places had they not paid me for my work. Now that I’m a professor, I have yet to see a compelling reason to publish in academic journals that neither compensate me for your work, nor give me the right to keep and control the distribution of that work

a bit concerning..
and a bit ... spot on

Outside the obvious ethical issues I have with this business model, the closed business of academic publishing stands against everything that science represents. At best this system makes it very difficult to parse through data, find relevant science and information, and drive innovation. At worst it works directly against

The culmination of this long process came with the realization that your work was going to reach a limited audience. In fact very few people could afford access to the very best journals, which meant counter-intuitively the more prestigious and important your finding, the less likely it would find a wide audience.
Everyone claims to agree that people should be encouraged to understand science and other academic research. Without current knowledge, we cannot make coherent democratic decisions. But the publishers have slapped a padlock and a “keep out” sign on the gates.

ve long ago gotten past the fact that few people understand what I do on a practical level. What concerns me is that they haven’t yet grokked the importance of tinkering. The people who play on the edge offer a valuable window into what’s coming next. What those people who tinker with emerging media, software tools, and communication technology allow us to do is peel back science to the pre-research level

haven't yet grokked the importance of tinkering.. of.. whimsy

Tinkers get their hands on tools before they become commoditized. They get the chance to take them apart, put them back together, and see how they might be used. Computer scientists build the digital tools, but the tinkers create the artifacts and experiences that researchers study.
might is huge.
what Alex talked about while suggesting true placebo.. non- functional

To put it another way: I believe in the scientific method, but I also believe in the process of getting to the scientific method.

Scott McLeod (@mcleod)
9/3/13 6:30 AM
Simple School Performance Metric: Miley v. MLK bit.ly/1a2avr3#edreform #edchat


Tony Wagner (@DrTonyWagner)
9/3/13 6:32 AM
With common core, fewer, higher math standards for K. No But no one is asking whether they are age appropriate. Play? nyti.ms/15t52ep

or perhaps - no one is tapping into curiosity.
we're not listening to the incredible questions kids/people have - addressing/facilitating those experiments/et al...