Thursday, September 12, 2013

tweets - privacy & transparency

Doc Searls (@dsearls)
9/12/13 6:17 AM
On manners, privacy and evolution: hvrd.me/18eLV8f Continues from hvrd.me/15t3t9J andhvrd.me/169dKMs

But all these things are just factors of our time. What matters most is that the whole world will need to come to new terms with the three things I listed in my earlier Thoughts on Privacy post: 1) ubiquitous computing power, 2) ubiquitous Internet access, and 3) the unlimited ability to observe, copy and store data. All these capacities are new to human experience, and we have hardly begun to deal with what they mean for civilization

I suspect that only the generation that has grown up connected — those under, say, the age of 25 — begin to fully comprehend what these new states of being are all about. I’ve been young for a long time (I’m 66 now), but the best I can do is observe people (in Bob Frankston‘s words) assuming connectivity as a natural state of being. My 16-year old son feels this state in his bones, to a degree neither I nor my 40-something kids don’t. To us elders, connectivity is an exceptional grace rather than a natural state.

I just hope that the laws we are making today (protecting yesterday from last Thursday, as all new laws tend to do) will be improved by new generations made wiser by their experiences with technologies made ubiquitous by their elders.


GlobalHigherEd (@GlobalHigherEd)
9/12/13 7:08 AM
Future Takes Shape for [historically significant] #BellLabs Site, via @nytimes #innovation #EeroSaarinennyti.ms/15PsNI0


Jennifer Sertl (@JenniferSertl)
9/12/13 7:10 AM
I don't think people understand that Twitter & Facebook are auto-autobiographical. This issue is - does the story honor your true identity?

well - for t he most part..

so.. we end up using most of our days looking good... seeking approval.. just in case.



why chimamandas message is ginormous.. no.?
then we could just focus on being us, rather than proving/defending.. ness


Bassam Tarazi (@BassamTarazi)
9/11/13 7:11 AM
The One Make-Or-Break Skill You Think You Have, But Probably Don’t **New Blog Post**fb.me/Ogpp9OTy

Jabiz Raisdana (@intrepidteacher)
9/12/13 6:55 AM
Becoming more & more cynical about technology w/ every day. Screams and whispers echo in the darkness. All feels superfluous sometimes.


Catherine Cronin (@catherinecronin)
9/12/13 7:05 AM
@intrepidteacher When virtual connections prompt conversations/ideas/feelings, they often change my thinking & practice. That's it for me :)


Jabiz Raisdana (@intrepidteacher)
9/12/13 7:17 AM
@catherinecronin I guess that is a lot. Maybe talking it for granted. Can there be more? A next step?


nancyflanagan (@nancyflanagan)
9/12/13 7:25 AM
For everyone who thinks **Infographics!!** are a higher form of truth: wtfviz.net



Zeynep Tufekci (@zeynep)
9/12/13 7:37 AM
.@trvscrw If paid, it's merely awful. Internship is to help the person learn real skill, not how to wash mugs. Unpaid is ugh to googolplex.



Zeynep Tufekci (@zeynep)
9/12/13 7:40 AM
Ugh. RT @academicdave @zeynep @trvscrw worse. often the student is paying for the "experience" to get college credit.


nancyflanagan (@nancyflanagan)
9/12/13 7:30 AM
More on "grit" buzzword from @PeterMDeWitt. Let's rethink this hot trend:blogs.edweek.org/edweek/finding…

grit