Sunday, August 29, 2010

dave cormier

thank you @davecormier

fav parts:
“Why are we educating students?”
Over the last few years I’ve come around to what i think I want 
Oscar and Josephine to get from the education system in order of importance.
  1. The desire to engage with ideas, combine them and make new ones
  2. The belief that they are allowed to do this
  3. The skills and literacies they need to do it.
I say in order of importance, because with the first can come the second and with the first two the third is pretty much inevitable. 
Those first two are tricky however, and they are easily confused with ‘knowing things’.  
I lay NO stock in knowing 
a particular thing.  
This is tricky, because I happen to think that knowing a great many things can be very valuable… I’m just not terribly fussed about the knowing of any given thing.

just the tip of the iceberg though - you should take a listen..
_____________________________________



________________________________________