Sunday, May 26, 2013

tweets




Timothy D. Slekar (@slekar)
5/24/13 6:50 AM
Schoolcuts: Amazing resources on Chicago schools crisis wp.me/pJX8i-7uJ via@thechalkface


http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/mental-health-crisis-mac-mcclelland-cousin-murder

Ethan Zuckerman (@EthanZ)
5/24/13 6:56 AM
Reading about the history of petitions this morning. The 1674 "Women's Petition Against Coffee" is a masterpiece: cafedomoco.webs.com/The_Womens_Pet…


Bianca 'Jim' Hewes (@BiancaH80)
5/24/13 7:23 PM
I fucked up my students by teaching them a formula for essay writing. I should have focused on the flow of ideas but focused on sentences.


Staci J. Shelton (@StaciJShelton)
5/24/13 7:12 PM
W O R D.: 

“There’s no reason to have a Plan B, because it distracts from Plan A.”—Will Smith

Hugh MacLeod (@gapingvoid)
5/24/13 7:24 PM
Just relaunched gapingvoid gapingvoid.com as a corporate thing. gapingvoid.com gapingvoid is growing up.

Roberto Greco (@rogre)
5/24/13 7:29 PM
"expeditions to the ends of the earth to explore peripheral landscapes, industrial ecologies… precarious wilderness" vimeo.com/66692318


Global Voices (@globalvoices)
5/24/13 7:29 PM
"Ppl sit around staring at their dead bodies. Nobody stands up to condemn this?! That's what kills me"bit.ly/134eHSz


Buffy Hamilton (@buffyjhamilton)
5/24/13 7:28 PM
Defining My Dyslexianyti.ms/14T2qSd

Though slow out of the gate — I couldn’t read fluently until 13 — I went to Yale, then medical school at Stanford, and I published two fantasy novels with disabled heroes (think Harry Potter and the Special-Ed Classroom). At every step, I used my diagnosis to my advantage, arguing that I had succeeded despite being dyslexic. It helped me stand out.Now a growing body of research suggests that I was unintentionally lying.Last month, at the Emily Hall Tremaine Foundation Conference on Dyslexia and Talent, I watched several neurobiologists present evidence that the dyslexic brain, which processes information in a unique way, may impart particular strengths. Studies using cognitive testing and functional M.R.I.’s have demonstrated exceptional three-dimensional and spatial reasoning among dyslexic individuals, which may account for the many successful dyslexic engineers. Similar studies have shown increased creativity and big-picture thinking (or “gist-detection”) in dyslexics, which correlates with the surprising number of dyslexic entrepreneurs, novelists and filmmakers.



Alec Ross (@AlecJRoss)
5/25/13 7:05 AM
I've gotten emails from officials in +/- 15 countries re Obama's speech on Thursday. All giving it many, many reads whitehouse.gov/the-press-offi…
What we can do – what we must do – is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger, and make it less likely for new groups to gain a foothold, all while maintaining the freedoms and ideals that we defend. To define that strategy, we must make decisions based not on fear, but hard-earned wisdom. And that begins with understanding the threat we fac


inside out 
quiet revolution.
you/we are trying to kill a starfish by pulling off arms

reading this post reminds me of a classroom.. that's trying to gain control.
everything focuses on the few who aren't complying..
even if the few are under control now... the rest had to comply (die) in order for that to happen

let's try a different narrative.. no?