Monday, May 21, 2012

student voice

Josh Stumpenhorst (@stumpteacher)
5/21/12 5:17 AM
Kids Speak Out on Student Engagement zite.to/Ji0kUE such simple and yet important insights


"I believe that it all boils down to relationships. Not relationships from teacher to student or relationships from student to student, but rather relations between the text and the outside world. For example, I was in a history class last year and my teacher would always explain what happens in the Medieval World and the Renaissance. And after every lesson, every essay, every assignment, he asked us, "How does this event relate to current times?" It brought me to a greater thinking, a kind of thinking where I can relate the past to the present and how closely they are bonded together."
imagine their voice if we set them free to talk about improving life, vs improving the classroom..