Thursday, February 25, 2010

this crazy curse called passion


yesterday: One of my admin emails me this http://www.whitehouse.gov/commencement
What was he thinking?..dangerous to send stuff like that to me.

this morning: Kool beans info grabs me via twitter. A bit later as thoughts are just percolating in me - I get this sense that I have to share it. 
So I tweet:
I wish I had the capacity to soak more in. For a kid to be bored or even remotely disengaged today is beyond me. There has to be a simple and immediate solution.

A quick response is tweeted back to me:
(to) @monk51295 There is no simple solution. It's a complex problem, developed over time. That's the kind of fix it needs. No magic bullet. Sorry

and that was it: That's when I started cursing Seth Godin, for admonishing me to ship. What his writing has taught me daily over the last 2 years ....well I knew this was bigger than just tweeting back.

I replied to the above tweet:
ever so respectfully, in my mind: maybe yesterday, not today. i'm not talking magic bullet, i'm talking power of connections

_________________________

here's the thing:  
If we are going to just tweak at ed, I can get more sleep. 

and: 
If we don't believe there's a new power for changing ed by fall - then there is really nothing worth changing ed for. tweaking it yes- changing it no. 


So i've decided - along those lines...

If we believe in this change - we should get the President to come...
The goal is not for the President of the US to speak at our commencement - but because of his position - a grassroots voice would be heard by those asking for and wanting change but not seeing the possibility/practicality of it happening
Laws and traditions binding us might be rethought by those making and sustaining them - and visible change by fall could happen.


_____________________________________________________

a plan:

just submitted these four ideas here: https://innovation.ed.gov/my-portal/
if you're so inclined - join in. one strong voice. we can.

It's easier to teach compliance than initiative.
_________________________________________________