Thursday, February 9, 2012

danah boyd

via
jennyluca (@jennyluca)
2/9/12 5:54 AM
How do you deal with a world that is messy? danah boyd at RMIT.wp.me/pai5A-BR


anxiously awaiting the talk.

love this:

*why is danah’s name always in lower case? She explains it on her ‘about me’page.
My birth name was “danah michele mattas” (spelled all funky because my mother loved typographical balance). Two years later, my brother Ryan was born. My parents divorced when i was five and my mother, brother and i set off for York, Pennsylvania. My mother re-married when i was in the third grade and we moved to Lancaster. Shortly afterwards, all of us changed our name to “Beard.” My mother and step-father divorced when i was in the 9th grade, but we stayed in Lancaster. In college, i changed my last name to “boyd” to honor my grandfather. When doing the legal paperwork, i switched back to a lower-cased style to reflect my mother’s original balancing and to satisfy my own political irritation at the importance of capitalization.