Friday, February 24, 2012

charles phillips

great insight from his interview with uncollege


I’ve since learned that before you argue with someone, ask them to explain your viewpoint FIRST. If that person truly cared about honest, intellectual debate, he/she would’ve researched your side of the argument.
Of course, none of them had read anything against going to college. So, I didn’t try to convince them. The best I could do was point them to the same articles I read and try to educate them. I refused to dive too deep into the argument until they opened up. None did, so I made the decision on my own.  
In my experience, the hardest thing for a self-learner is meta learning, i.e. learning how to learn. If you’re coming out of the American school system, you’ll realize really fast that learning isn’t about how well you can regurgitate information on a test. I think it’s important to know how your body/brain works so that you can understand your behavior and learn to manipulate it.
‎”Contemplation often makes life miserable. We should act more, think less, and stop watching ourselves live.” – Nicolas Chamfort

great insight into meta learning.. via Phill Pappas...