Wednesday, November 25, 2009

learning is messy

My first introduction to this phrase came about one year ago from Brian Crosby. I had emailed danah boyd asking for some insight on internet safety - particularly in regard to using Skype. She suggested I visit Brian Crosby's blog site - Learning is Messy.  Reading through the activities Brian has been doing for quite some time with his elementary students (yes - little ones) was very inspirational and motivational.

learning is    m e  ss y .
I've shared this phrase several times to convince parents, admin, peers, etc.... that messy is ok and not only ok, but often a sign that something is happening.
 

Just this year, I've experienced the joy of sharing that phrase with students. What's so different about having this conversation with students (as opposed to adults) is that it means we've finally moved past the phase of defending craziness in the classroom, flapping about trying it in the classroom, and we are swimming in it instead.

It would be ridiculous not to admit to the many moments that I question the craziness myself. Wondering if I'm losing my mind - or doing my kids a disservice. I must say that everytime I've felt that despair, in the end - the learning part has won out.

I'm finding that everyone of us - even the kids - needs to get used to the idea that true learning happens in unconventional ways...even though in reality - learning unconventionally is the most natural process. We have just programmed ourselves and our children that there is a "school" way to learn. 


So - to adults - thank you for learning with me and staying strong through the messes.
       - to young people - thank you for the messes - the energy you put into them - and most of all - what you (we) are getting out of them.

Let's embrace this  m e  ss yness.


watch this very cool showing ...of learning...of pure beauty...found in messiness (splashes of water) if we just dive into the drop.



ps: 
my own kids keep trying to convince me that this explains the state of our house... and of my classroom. 
not buying it. 
cleaning up messes is half the fun.
and a worthy art.